Should I be ashamed to be a feminist? To believe in female empowerment without promoting inequality of the sexes? To want equal footing in the workforce and political world without having to confront gender stereotypes? To ask for fun, frisky, spontaneous and interesting sex without having to worry about being violated by a friend or a stranger? To wish to be able to go to a party in a dress and drink and have fun with friends and kiss boys without having to hear "you asked for it" when I didn't want to go that far? To understand that men are not inherently evil, not always trying to step all over my rights as a woman, without forgiving or justifying assault and rape? To assert that no means no, without forgetting that yes also definitely means yes? To embrace my sexuality and to do what I want sexually without being named a slut by both men AND women? To appreciate a whistle or a beep without feeling uncomfortable or dirty? To welcome my femininity without feeling like it should be used as a tool to attract men and intimidate other women? To feel comfortable as a woman in the workplace or at school without feeling like I have to compensate and try to be one of the boys?
I don't know that I see anything too unreasonable on that list. And that's what feminism means to me. I understand my responsibilities as a human being. I don't blame my mistakes on the other gender, and I don't excuse my shortcomings based on my own sex. I am a woman and I usually like being one. It should always be that simple.
Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment