Friday, February 19, 2010

1 A.M.

"Have you ever noticed how people look perfect in the dark?"
The dark is forgiving, mysterious, beautiful. It makes me forget my own body. I can only see the good curves; the crook of my hipbone, the round of my shoulder, the meniscus of my calf. Sharpness and soft are balanced in shadows; in dark sweeping lines, night's charcoal draws me confidently. The stillness of everything makes me forget how heavy and fearful I am, and I look down and see my toes, perfect toes, perched atop graceful feet--even my feet are perfect. And so are yours, and yours. And your ear slopes delicately, your chin sits strongly, your forehead is a crescent. Even your fingers are perfect; plush, lithe. And your eyes. And I can barely stand it. Because everything is beautiful, and its hard to keep from crying because the sun rises and we are human again.
"Yeah. I have noticed that."
Beautiful black, come again, give my body back to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment