Sunday, June 6, 2010

Cliché Guevara

Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone elses opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.

So says Oscar Wilde, anyway.

Hypocritical of me to open a post on unoriginality with a quote? Well, I'm recognizing the hypocrisy...so, now it's just ironic.

Anyway, I was looking at a friend's "About Me" section on Facebook. It was a quote from a well known author. That's all it was. Which made me think back to the above Oscar Wilde observation of humanity. But then I checked mine, and realized it was a lyric to a Billy Bragg song (to be fair, I linked this blog in it. Something to be said there, at least.) So, maybe I'm just as unoriginal and uninspired as everyone else is, quoting songs and damning myself because someone else said it better than I ever could. My existence is not the summation of Chuck Palahniuk quotes and Jawbreaker lyrics. But we're all afraid of being inane, irrelevant. It's a paradox of wanting to connect with the rest of the world over a quotation, and wanting to declare our individuality as well as proving our intelligence and cultural awareness. I don't know, humans are weird. We have an obsession with setting ourselves apart that goes with a deeper need to be on a certain level with "everyone else."

This has all been said before...I'm not observing anything new. Depressing. And I just reread the Oscar Wilde quote and got sad all over again. But such is life.

No comments:

Post a Comment